June is not only the beginning of summer but it’s LGBTQ+ Pride Month, and there are many ways to get involved and celebrate it in the Austin community (this month and every month!).
Pride Month commemorates the Stonewall riots which began in June of 1969 after New York City Police’s Public Morals Squad raided the Stonewall Inn, a gay bar, and attempted to arrest the patrons inside. A crowd gathered to fight back, and over the next few days it evolved into a movement changing history as we know it. June 28 of 1970 is when the first Pride event was organized by Brenda Howard (also known as Mother of Pride), a bisexual activist in New York that paved the way for modern LGBTQ+ rights movement.
Photo of the Pride Flag being waved at the Austin State Capitol. (Photo courtesy of Texas McCombs School of Business)
Austin is the proud home of our very own active and visible community of LGBTQ+. Having a progressive and liberal haven in the heart of Texas allows us to work hard and play even harder in harmony. Austin was recognized by “Travel and Leisure” as one of America’s Best Cities for Gay Travel!
There are many events to celebrate this monumental month. Austin’s main Pride event hosted by Austin Pride will be on August 20th, 2022 but until then, the city has some great events leading up to it, to celebrate pride and support LGBTQ+ business owners in Austin!
- Check out local events and more here from KXAN
- LGBTQ-owned Austin-area businesses you can support during Pride Month and beyond from KVUE
- Austin’s guide to everything LGBTQ+ in the city from AustinTexas.org
- How to Celebrate Pride Month in Austin from Thrillist
- Austin LGBTQIA+ & Queer Businesses to Support from @atxfyi
- 33 must-read books by LGBTQ authors, from stunning memoirs to heartwarming romance novels from Business Insider
- Learn the history of Austin Pride from Austin Monthly
- More information on Mother of Pride, Brenda Howard from Advocate
- History of how Pride Began From the Outwords
Come join us to celebrate, spread the love, and show support!
Happy Pride Ya’ll!