“Could you imagine being homeless on the streets and not knowing where you next pad or tampon is going to come from? Or better yet, imagine having to miss school because you don’t have access to menstrual products. This is reality for many women right in our own community. Flo Code was designed to change the narrative.”
Formed by Lamanda Ballard in 2017, Flo Code’s mission is to provide menstrual products to women in need and end the shame and stigma around menstruation. To date, Flo Code has donated over 370,000 menstrual products to underserved women.
Flo Code’s efforts are fueled by donations from the community, which can include tampons, pads, panty liners, menstrual cups, underwear, and cleansing wipes. Donations are collected and assembled into Flo Packs that are put together by volunteers during the organization’s signature and increasingly popular Flo Parties. Flo Parties usually include music, treats, and all around good vibes and fellowship. After the parties, the packs are donated to area shelters or organizations, or volunteers take to the streets to hand them out homeless women in Austin.
Since its inception, Flo Code has gained an enormous amount of momentum and support. The organization’s service has been recognized by numerous publications and media outlets including Austin Woman, KVUE, and Nylon Magazine. Their work was even honored by Mayor Steve Adler who proclaimed October 3 as Flo Code Day in Austin. This year has also brought about collaborations with numerous community events, businesses, and organizations as well as the establishment of chapters in both Denton and Houston.
Want to help? There are many different ways you can support Flo Code:
- Make a one-time or recurring donation ($10 can cover a woman’s period for 2 months): https://bit.ly/2P00s42
- Purchase an item from their Amazon Wishlist
- Follow them and their share their work on social media: Facebook, Twitter and Instagram
- Stay up to date on their efforts by subscribing to their newsletter
- Drop off donations at a participating location: https://flocode.org/get-involved/#drop-off-locations
- Host a Flo Party: https://flocode.org/contact-us/